Friday, October 2, 2026

 


—JUST GO EASY ON ME. I’M FEELING OUT OF ORDER.

 

 

…“Rape is one of the most terrible crimes on earth, and it happens every few minutes. The problem with groups who deal with rape is that they try to educate women about how to defend themselves. What really needs to be done is teaching men not to rape. Go to the source and start there.” Kurt Cobain

 

I have a new story up:

 https://rabbitbrush.org/fiction-no-i-len-kuntz/

 

…“Even the cracks have cracks.” Jay Halsey

 

…Last night I had a dream/nightmare that I was at a party my daughter was throwing and I had both my phone and car stolen. I kept looking for them in disbelief. Then I’d wake up, go back to sleep and go right back into the stolen phone/car dream. This went on for several times. Finally, I said, Fuck this and got up. Luckily my phone was right on the bathroom counter where I’d put it the night before.

 

…“I’m telling myself this morning that if he never existed, then he can never cease to exist. For me, he will always be everywhere I see a coin spinning into an open guitar case. May you rest in the peace you gave to so many,” Bono, in tribute to the late Glen Hansard

 

…“While fear may be contagious, courage is as well.” Jack Smith’s last words at the Senate Judiciary Committee where he was called a “liar” and a “dirtbag,” among other things for telling the truth about the 2020 election obstruction.

 

…“It is inconceivable to me how you can pardon people who beat police office and then go on to vilify the police officers who were beaten.” Former special counsel Jack Smith at the same Senate hearing

 

…Should you ever find yourself alone, on a Thursday, and you need a starter song for an office concert, I’d recommend “Devils in the Canyon.” It’ll get you moving, for sure:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De_e0i_ccmQ&list=RDDe_e0i_ccmQ&start_radio=1

 

…There’s always a new way to say it, but watch out what wrapper you use.

 

…It’s Fall. The spiders are back. Yay. There seven there, just hanging on, hoping to catch something.

 

…I’m not afraid pos spiders because I live on a lake, but bridges--Fuck way off.

 

…Have you, or someone you know ever dated a poet? You may be entitled to compensation.

 

…I’m not sure how I find the things I think I can never find.

 

…Two mini-concerts in the same week? That’s saying something, like life must be good.

 

…Even my little toe doesn’t want to fit that slipper. 

 

“If you allow yourself to get old, you will. I ain’t got time to get old. I ain’t got time to dwell on that.” Dolly Parton

 

…Poor, Rocky. He runs all over that deck looking everywhere for love while I’m right here.

 

…My kids make art all the time. They’re intentional about it, but not really looking for outside gratification. There are few things better than that—your kids making art just to make art. 

 

…“The sad part about happy endings is there’s nothing to write about.” Tammy Wynette

 

…Hey, if you’re happy, you’re happy. Good for you.

 

…I was good for a while and then I wasn’t.

 

…Just so you know, this is all completely unintentional.

 

…“My method of writing is simple: pay attention, be astonished, and tell others about it.” Mary Oliver

 

…How many blood smears can a guy leave on appliances and surfaces before it starts to look like a crime scene?

 

…What you think was important last night probably seems a lot less so today.

 

…“Fiction is still a way of writing about yourself.” Rick Rubin

 

…That was a really strange way of saying, “Hi,” but I’ll take it over nothing…

 

...Sometimes, a lot of times actually. Social media is so inane,, so biased and so aimed at getting sympathy for oneself, that you never want to go there anymore.

 

“I’m just a working girl. I’m a workhorse that looks like a show horse. I’m willing to get up early. I’m willing to stay up late. I just feel like it’s my duty; it’s my job and my joy.” Dolly Parton 

 

…God, you have to love Helen Mirren, right? If you don’t love her, who do you love?

 

…Just leave Sydney Sweeny alone. She’s got a body and she’s not ashamed of it, so what? Fuck off.

 

…“I keep going because I keep going. I lift a weight or two. I’m never going to be Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I do keep moving and walking whenever I can.” 86-year-old, Ringo Starr

 

…Load up on guns, bring your friends. It's fun to lose and to pretend

 

…“Sometimes carrying on, just carrying on, is a superhuman achievement.” Albert Camus

 

…I suppose Wendell Barry loved the world more than me, but honestly, his writing does nothing for me.


…“A lot of people have dreams that they feel they have missed a chance at. I hope my story reminds them that the path is not always straight.” Ke Huy Quah

 

…You hear him on “The Spins” and you think, This kid sounds so happy, he’s going to live forever.

 

…It’s coming, every day. I can feel it breathing down my neck.

 

…“People always say it’s health that’s the most important thing, but I think the most important thing is friends. They’re what gets you through.” Steve K.

 

…I know, but I still love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Evnzkez7o&list=RDs1Evnzkez7o&start_radio=1

 

…Dude give it up. There’s a time limit on things.

 

…“What I write is smarter than I am. Because I can -re-write it.” Susan Sontag

 

…All you can be is you, broken parts and all. If no one else gets it, Fuck them. You don’t need them in your life.

 

…Hello Hello Hello how low?

 

…Here’s one of the greatest rejections ever—"No, Dad, I can’t watch that show with you right now because Bay and I are going to go make music together in a bit.”

 

…Broken crayons still color.

 

…“Please be mindful that any mean or aggressive comments can negatively affect the baby…It’s me. I’m the baby.” Jennifer Lawrence

 

…I remember the first time I saw the video for “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” thinking, wow, this is like nothing I’ve ever seen, sort of like when I saw the vid for “Karma Chameleon” and couldn’t make out Boy Georges’ gender. I recently watched the former vid. It’s pretty powerful. Full of angst. Definitely, iconic.

 

…Kurt Cobain lived near here, south a bit, like an hour. He spent a lot of time under a bridge in Olympia. In high school, he had a crush on a popular Cheerleader and wrote he a poem/song, something I would probably do. A day later, someone spray-painted his locker with the words, Kurt Cobain smells like Teen Spirit,” which was a popular deodorant at the time.

 

…“If thou must love me, let it be for naught except for love’s sake.” Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1845

(A love built on reasons lasts only as long as the reasons do, so love for nothing in particular, and love for the sake of love itself, lasts forever.)

 

…Last week at dinner, celebrating my best friend’s 74th birthday, he said something profound and probably didn’t even realize it. He was speaking about that flip which occurs, where you go from being worried about getting older to being grateful every day that you are older. I think I’m right there with him.

 

…“When you finally get that dream you wanted when you were seven years old and you get it, at some point a little bit of a lustre starts to wear off if you keep touring and keep turning the same wheel over and over again." Steve Perry

 

…I think it’s okay to be sad. It means you feel something.

 

…“This is not today. This is nine years ago today. Today is the Autumnal Equinox. I want to learn to speak in sunrise.” Jay Halsey

 

…“Everybody Wants to Fuck Me” is a pretty outstanding name for a film. I hope it does its title proud.

 

…(I’ve always been a big Steve Perry fan and always will be.) In 2011, Steve Perry, of the band Journey, started dating cancer patient Kellie Nash, despite knowing that doctors believed she would die. She sadly passed away in 2012, and when asked by The Guardian about why he pursued her, Steve confessed: "I've not said this to anybody yet: I believed our love would cure her cancer. I really did.

"We sat in our tiny apartment in New York – a very expensive small box – and she said: 'This might take me, but it'll never be able to touch our love.' I never thought about such a truth like that. Not just talking about it, but physically feeling it and emotionally seeing it was new to me."

He also revealed that it was Kellie who inspired him to return to music, sharing: "She said: 'Promise me you won't go back into isolation, because I fear it would make this all for naught.' I said: 'OK, I promise.' I lay in bed thinking about what I'd just promised.

"She was looking at the arc of her whole life and, the possibility that she may not make it, had to have some goddamn meaning. She was looking for purpose in all this. I grieved for two years – it was a whole new level of broken heart. It was completely fucking broken. I worked through that and, the next thing I knew, I started writing music."

 

… “If you’re not having fun, you’re doing something wrong.” Groucho Marx

 

…I guess I’m doing things wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment