Friday, August 14, 2026

 



—BEEN A COUPLE OF MINUTES SINCE YOU CROSSED MY MIND

 

…I was trying to be funny, but the joke’s on me.

…I might be in a mess that I can’t clean up.

…I did battle with the bushes yesterday—I’ve got marks and scabs to prove it—but I’m still not sure which of us won.

…It won’t be the first time, but it might be the last.

…It’s official—I’ve played the new Role Model to death. I can even sound out every instrument.

…Audrey Hobart is a wonder. This is true.

…Why bother underlining it, or paying attention to it, if you’re never going to use it?

Sorry that your dog died.

…“His name is Mac Miller. It’s spelled M-a-c…

…“Romance and death travel on the same boat.” Reka Nyitrai, With a swan’s nest on her back

…It seems like I’m the kind of person who never learns from mistakes, no matter how many he makes.

…Hey, look, it’s almost midnight. Are you there?

…$TARFACE, the new release by Tyga, received Pitchfork’s first 0.0 rating in 19 years. Here’ what they had to say: “The rapper’s slop-pop concept album is smug and complacent and depressing. Its very existence has made the world a worse place.” Ouch. I guess I love the brutal honesty of the (entire) review, but that’s the type of thing that can stop an artist from ever trying to create art again.

…I recently learned this: Only 2% of actors make a living solely from the profession. 

I know just what you’re thinking, coming down from the high.

 …Everyone’s too beautiful and what’s sad is they all know it.

…I wish I was beautiful.

…If you think a Muslim mayor in NCY is threatening your kids, or grandkids, when you live way the fuck over in North Dakota, well, you and I have problems and I suggest you buy yourself a really big vibrator with extra batteries and go to town. Treat yourself. Let off some steam.  It could help you see more clearly.

Who’s that knocking at my door? Better be an angel four-four-four.

…It’s late, just clicking midnight Thursday, but I might get one last—"Song is All You Get”—in before it’s over.

…Yeah, I know—we’re all busy, but you can’t at least reply.

…(…)

…It might be a fire I can’t stop.

…In this case, it’s probably smart not to be too smart.

…“Sir, you’re annoying my customers.”

Damnit, I’m trying. I’m the only one crying.

…I don’t why I give him so much of my energy. I wish I could be more like most of my friends who shrug it off or look the other way, but I fucking can’t.

 …From the NYT yesterday: It’s natural to envy your friends

…Every man’s greatest fear is that he’s a pussy. It totally sounds sexist, but it’s true.

…Just look around. Everything you could possibly want is here temporarily.

…Things look a lot different these days. Maybe that’s okay, but it sure doesn’t feel like it.

…Balloons. Who doesn’t love balloons? You can never have too many balloons.

…“Stop ordering so many books.”

…I did it, but I hated all that other stuff.

…It’s the hardest thing, not to reach for the lap.

…I like to know who I’m playing with.

 

…”It’s not just the Odyssey effect: poetry is booming because it’s the only language for these times of violence and chaos

Charlotte Higgins

Charlotte Higgins

From Homer’s epic to conflicts in Ukraine and Gaza, we can see how poetry fills the gap when ordinary ways of writing or speaking aren’t enough

The biggest sales of poetry since records began are expected this year. The reason? The movies, of course. UK print sales of The Odyssey increased by 1,400% in the four weeks to 25 July compared with the same period last year. In the US, year-to-date sales of The Odyssey are up 76% so far. Christopher Nolan is doing miracles for Homer – whatever problems one might have with the movie (and Emily Wilson, who made the most popular recent translation, has a few).

…I think the key to life is you pay attention. You notice things that others dismiss without knowing it. That’s what poets do.

…I wish I had a best friend who was techy and available.

…I’ve got a best friend who can’t stand up in the waves anymore, and I’d take him over anyone, anyday.

…I got an ad on my phone the other day to buy a cap that said IDK, IDC, & IDGAF. That made me laugh.

We had that one night, last July, I kissed you, thinking I’d have you satisfied. If I’m being honest, I could use another try.

…Maybe once I get there I’ll know, but who will I have to tell it to?

…“His name is Mac Miller. M-a-c…” I know—a second time, but it really haunts me.

…It’ll still three strikes, as far as I know.

…Well, that was bound to happen—the erasure of everything.

,..But I’m still holding on, hoping prayer actually works.

 

…Well, if you’re dead, what’re still you doing here, standing beside my desktop every fucking day?

 

But the barflies took the jukebox back.

 

…It always depends upon how you look at it, right? Or the angle. Or the memories you twist into it.

 

…I guess I don’t know where we’re going anymore.

 

You could have kissed me any time you liked.

 

…I’d really feel more comfortable if you blinked once or twice.

 

…Wait, is that the same cloud from yesterday?

 

…Wait, what? Role Model?

 

…I don’t want to be lame, but maybe I am.

 

Sometimes you get a drink. Sometimes you get nothing.  Sometimes you walk away worse than before, but that’s still something.

 

…One of the things I’ve learned is there is no perfect wave, even if people tell you differently.

 

…As long as you know it, what does it matter if no one else does?

 

Love songs don’t come easily, but I lean into the melody.

 

…Somehow, inexplicably, I lost the file I’d logged all my published pieces onto—1,395. I don’t know how it happened or where they went, but I’ve looked and looked and they’re gonorrhea.

 

--Do you really believe you can jinx something?

--Don’t you?

--I’m not sure.

--Wake up and smell the toast burning.

 

…One thing you definitely don’t want to see right now is my desk. Or my ankles.

 

…People tell me Friday is too long, so I think I’m going to cut this post off early and just leave the other 20 pages dangling, sitting there on the barstool with a short one in their palm.

…I’ve only got a few tricks left, and I do mean only a few.

…I guess we’ll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment