Friday, November 17, 2023


 —NEVER LEAVE “I LOVE YOU” LEFT UNSAID

  

 

…What did I miss, I mean, besides everything? 

 

…No one hates goodbyes more than I do.

 

…Haven’t had a dream in a long time.

 

…It’s funny how you think you know someone all these years then, nope, you didn’t know them like you thought you did.

 

…I’ve rarely had my temper flare, but I’ve seen a lot of others, and I’m telling you, those are some big flames.

 

…It’s entirely possible to trust someone too much, and to also not trust them enough.

 

…Maybe I’m just better at holding things than other people.

 

…But on the other hand, “Take a peek, Patterson.”

 

…Maybe the problem is we all remember too much. What say you?

 

…It’s kind of impossible to get too much Sufjan. Or Regina for that matter, though they’re entirely different.

 

Hey, remember that time when we decided to kiss anywhere except on the mouth? 

 

…“We have a deficit of wonder. When I ask people questions now, they get out their phone. I say, ‘No!’ I don’t want to know the answer. I just wanna wonder about it a while.” 

Tom Waits

 

…If you ever need a song to lift you out of the gloom, play, “Take Your Mama” by Scissor Sisters. Just don’t ever watch the video for it.  

 

…Ditto, The Killers, “All These Things I’ve Done.”

 

…But if you ever hear, “Pocket Full of Shells” blasting from my office, probably keep your distance. 


…“Each one wraps himself in what burns him.” Dante

 

…I envy people who can make a decision at the snap of a finger. I vaguely remember being like that, once upon a time, when I had to, when it wasn’t an option.

 

…Some good advice, from the most handsome man on the planet: “When you can’t hold on, if you can’t hold on, hold on.” 

 

…To think, once upon a time, we actually took typing as a class.

 

…“Well, you get a pass for that.” A. Soprano

 

…Everybody is watching somebody, but some do it with more circumspection. 

 

…“I might have to have you sign a waiver.”

 

…Wait, what?

 

…The Big Dark is here already, and she seems to mean business. Just look at all that ink outside the window. There’s a lake somewhere, too, I think.

 

…All I have to do is read that final line over and over to understand everything.

 

See the luck I’ve had can make a good man bad.

 

…You can count your chickens all you want, but aren’t they really just chickens?

 

…I just want to be understood for once. Who doesn’t?

 

…I did something to my right palm, not once but twice, whereby I pulled the tendons out of their normal position and now they’re like sailor-knotted ropes, little flesh-colored nubs. It’s difficult to entirely stretch out my hand but I’ve come to see that the bumps against the creases resemble the face of a mischievous Buddha.

 

…Telepathy could be wonderful, or else, frightening.

 

…I wonder if cavemen had friends, or if they were mistrustful of everyone and everything.

 

…You know you’re old when you remember penny candy bubblegum that looked like the sun with tiny sprockets of purple scattered throughout.

 

…‘The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.” Poster from India

 

…He laughed when I said it, but I only think he laughed because it sounded unbelievable and he believed it.

 

…Don’t most people have more questions than answers? I think so. But sometimes I get tired of being asked questions.

 

…So, two old men have lunch, and it’s not so bad. They laugh. They connect. They hug at the end and say, “We should do this again.”

 

…“I watch you when you don't know I'm watching you

and every look I steal from you

it adds a day to my life"

--Sam Shepard

 

…You run the NY Marathon, and my God, you think you can do anything. Which you probably can.

 

…After having run the NY Marathon, I immediately took a cab to my hotel, got in a freezing cold bath, ordered a massive pile of room-service pasta, then passed out on the sheets. Next day, I was on a plane, then ready for work. A meeting with 500 people. That’s how it was then. How did I ever pull that off?

 

…It sounds so fucking corny, but really—every day—it’s a gift.

 

...Nowadays I have to lean against a dresser to fit my foot through a pant-leg, otherwise it’s a colossal collapse. But that’s a gift, too.

 

Just keep moving

 

…People can change. I used to not believe that, but I’m a huge believer now.

 

…The night I wanted to jump out of a hotel window led to one of the biggest changes in my life. And thank God for that.

 

…Where did the Scissor Sisters come from, and why are they suddenly stuck in my craw?

 

,,,You write your heart and people are going to hear it or they’re not. You can only do the writing. They have to do the hearing.

 

…Maybe these rings will save my life after all. It’s not like I have many other options.

 

…I read a lot of not so-good stories today. 

 

…Today wasn’t perfect, by any means, but it was pretty damn good.

 

…“I hope to arrive at my death late, in love, and a little drunk.” Atticus

 

…There comes a time when a person desperately wants to away from shit that’s not killing you, but making you stronger.

 

…“There’s nothing you can do to turn me away,” is a Carly Simon lyric, one she must have accidentally appropriated from the Bible. I don’t fault her. It’s a good one.

 

…“The course of true love never did run smooth.” Shakespeare

 

…I’m a master of mixed reviews.

 

…Are you an optimist? I think I am with most things, but with others I’m horrible. I suppose the world only needs so many Mother Theresa’s, and that’s why they’re so special.

 

…“Don’t plant your bad days. They grow into weeks. The weeks grow into months. Before you know it, you got yourself a bad year. Take it from me—choke those little bad days. Choke ‘em down to nothing.” Tom Waits 

 

Every day is a winding road.

 

…Maybe the correct question is: What if things get better? What if we can actually do this?

 

…Now the days are so short you couldn’t touch them if you wanted to.

 

…I don’t hate you so much, Friday, but I still have that cache of poems stored, just in case

 

If it makes you happy, then why the hell are you so sad?

 

…I’m aging a little faster than I’d like, but I’m (mostly) enjoying it; life.

 

…I think the thing most people want to know is: Tell me why I should care about that.

 

…What’s scary is being scared for no reason.

 

…I guess another question you could ask yourself is What makes you twitch?

 

…I’m pretty confident that I’m insecure.

 

…Maybe love was the wrong word after all.

 

…What I don’t need, and no one else does, is another false alarm.

 

…You only find so many masterpieces in life, so cherish the fuck out of them.

 

All the moon and stars have gone, but I can see the light of dawn, like a golden smile lighting up a brand-new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment