Friday, December 25, 2020

 

—MERRY CHRISTMAS, DARLING

 

…Merry Christmas. Like much of everything in 2020, this will be an odd, sober holiday, which will then not resemble a holiday at all.

Still, of course, there’s quite a bit to be grateful for.

While I now know of many people who have caught and died from the virus, none in my immediate family have. So, that’s something.

 

…We’ve all had to endure a bizarre and extremely difficult year. Some of us have fared better than others. I was in a bad funk for nearly seven months and it was only early in December that I crawled out of the bunker, squinting into the light.

I started running again, reading again, and writing in spurts. I started to feel hopeful.

Having a close family helped, along with some truly amazing friends.

 

…I hope you are also seeing the light, that you are safe and happy, surrounded by those who love you.

 

…While I was still writing plenty in 2020, I didn’t submit a single poem or story this year unless I was queried. That happened more than it typically does.

Steven John started a new magazine called The Phare. Please check it out. The writing and graphics are both top notch.

He wrote me asking to submit something, but asked that the story be between 2,000-4,000 words. If you’ve followed my writing these past few years, you’ll know that writing anything longer than even 400 words is something I know longer do.

Regardless, I scoured my archives and found five pretty compelling stories to send. To my surprise, Steven loved and accepted them all.

Two of them are below. One of them, “Last Words,” was my 1,200 piece published and is in my personal Top Ten favorites.

Happily, other people seemed to agree. (This is bragging, I know, but my confidence has ebbed a lot this year, and I could use a few pats on the back, even if they’re just myself patting my own back):

 

https://www.thephare.com/lastwords

 

https://www.thephare.com/oriole

 

 

-Wow

-this is incredible writing!

-this is stunning

-Amazing!

-Wow. Great story.

-Another gut-wrenching story, Len. Your writing is incredible.

-What incredible subject matter captured with a poet's sensibility. Great story, Len.

-I'll start by saying what I've always said and known: You are a fine writer, Len. Whenever I see you've published a story, I stop and read it. Every time. But this one was devastating (in the best way, I mean). So much great writing here.

-this is just stunning. Fabulous work, Len... many congratulations

-Beautifully written poignant story, Len. Well done.

-Riveting,  you’ve done it again Len

-The quantity of your work is amazing, Len, but is only exceeded by the quality

-This is mesmerizing. Amazing end.

-You’re prolific and also terrific

-Love this story

-What an incredible record, Len. so thrilled to know you and to know how very sweet you are to everyone. And you are one hell of a writer.

-This is one of the best stories I’ve read all year, Len.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment