Monday, August 19, 2013





--IF YOU GET HURT I'LL TAKE YOUR PAIN


…I finally saw “Fruitvale Station” starring Michael Jordan of “Friday Night Lights,” “Parenthood,” and “The Wire.”  He was outstanding in every way, as was the film. 
There were only seven people in the theater and the movie played only once, at 9:55 am on Sunday morning.
It breaks my heart to think that great little films such as “Fruitvale” get overrun by mindless Marvel Comic movies.

…On television, “Breaking Bad” continues to astound with each new episode.  Last night’s entrée was a brilliant study in subtlety and the use of facial expression to do all the talking that need be done.  With, sadly, just six more episodes to go, I’m dying to see how Walter and Jesse go out into that dark night.
“Dexter” on the other hand, feels tired.  It’s redeemed itself somewhat this year, but they probably should have closed up shop after the fifth season.

…Here are a few things I like to start the week:

"We have worked at full speed since May.  And that is I'm persuaded the root and source and origin of all health and happiness, provided of course that one rides work as a man rides a great horse, in a spirited and independent way; not a drudge, but a man with spurs to his heels." (Writing in her journal about her life as a publisher and
writer.) Virginia Woolf

"Never love anybody who treats you like you are ordinary." Oscar Wilde

"The way to learn to do things is to do things. The way to learn a trade is to work at it. Success teaches how to succeed. Begin with the determination to succeed, and the work is half done already." J.N. Fadenburg

"I am thankful for small mercies. I compared notes with one of my friends who expects everything of the universe, and is disappointed when anything is less than the best, and I found that I begin at the other extreme, expecting nothing, and am always full of thanks for moderate goods." Ralph Waldo Emerson


"People will stare. Make it worth their while." Harry Winston

No comments:

Post a Comment