Monday, March 22, 2021

 

  –I GUESS I’LL LEAVE YOU NOW, UNLESS YOU’VE LEFT ME FIRST

 

 

Succotash Smile

  

I’m afraid

a lot of time

but right now

I’d do anything

really I would

if you’d let me

If you’d let me

I’d make love

to your exoskeleton

or your hologram

I don’t care

I’d do it

under a waterfall

or beneath the drip

of rainwater

thick with regrets

or distasteful sludge

I’d do it

if you’d let me

I’d hand-wash

your hair in a

tin basin but

be sure to keep

the bitter soap out

of your eyes while

reading you

the latest poem

I’d make up stories

on the spot

funny ones this time

if you’d let me

It’s been months

and months

since I’ve seen you

though we sleep together

side by side

passing through

the bathroom

dining room

rec room  

living room

like a pair of

dull utensils

but I’d make

love to you

in a blink

if you’d let me

I’d try to catch

your shifting shadow

in starlight

or bar light

even with

broken beer glass

tattooing the soles

of my scrawny feet

I’d lift you up

take you on

the counter

watch the ceiling

and stars

break apart

just for us

if you’d let me

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment