Wednesday, July 24, 2024

 


—SHE’S AS SWEET AS THE STORIES SAY

  

…Happy Wednesday.

Here are some things I like mid-week:

 

 

"The important thing is to be in love with something." Ray Bradbury

 

“Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.”   Guillaume Apollinaire

 

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.” Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

 

“Mostly, I straddle reality and the imagination. My reality needs imagination like a bulb needs a socket. My imagination needs reality like a blind man needs a cane.” Tom Waits

 

“Books are meat and medicine

and flame and flight and flower

steel, stitch, cloud and clout,

and drumbeats on the air.”

Gwendolyn Brooks

 

 “I am working out the vocabulary of my silence.” Muriel Rukeyser

 

“There is always time
to write one line of poetry.”

Marie Ponsot

 

“Look, I really don’t want to wax philosophic, but I will say that if you’re alive, you’ve got to flap your arms and legs, you got to jump around a lot, you got to make a lot of noise, because life is the very opposite of death. And therefore, as I see it, if you’re quiet, you’re not living. You’ve got to be noisy, or at least your thoughts should be noisy, colorful and lively.” Mel Brooks

 

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” Oscar Wilde

 

“Only tonight

I am happy and sad

like a child

who stood at the end of summer

and dipped a net

in a green, erotic pond. The day

and ever. The day and ever.

I am homesick, free, in love

with the way my mother speaks.”

Carol Ann Duffy

 

“Death is careless at times. It confuses love with a wet afternoon in 

an empty

room. The unpainted walls a reminder of how sex can resemble 

poverty. A

hollow cry. An open mouth falling inside as you sleep. I prepare

my heart

and language with better words, like worlds in small selves I've

built.”

--Nathalie Handal

No comments:

Post a Comment