Friday, May 20, 2022

 

—LOVIN’ YOU’S MY FAVORITE DRUNK

 

…Happy Friday and weekend. What’s on your docket?

 

…I am a news junkie. Always have been, even way back in college. I thought I might major in International Politics, but obviously didn’t.

I have been watching the war in Ukraine with a keen eye. Every day, it seems, the Ukrainian people seem to pull off another astounding miracle in their efforts to thwart “the Invaders.” It’s been one shocking feat (defeat) after another.

How great is it to have a champion like President Zelenskyy? This is a guy who was an actor playing a president who later became president. At the start of the Russian invasion, no one gave him a chance in hell of repelling Putin’s assault. I was right there with those doubters. And look now. He’s a hero for our times. My favorite quotes of his are these two:

The fight is here. I don’t need a ride, I need weapons.” (after President Biden, at the very start of the conflict, offered Zelenskyy safe passage out of Ukraine).

And this: “We need three things: Ammunition. Ammunition. Ammunition.”

What a badass.

So today, and tonight. I will pray for him and all those in Ukraine. You might not believe in prayer, and that’s okay, but maybe, even if you don’t, just whisper some good wishes under your breath for Ukraine today. What can it hurt?

 

…COVID is no fun at all. Just when you think you’re over it, the thing circles back and takes you out at the knees. If I cough anymore, I’m pretty sure the lining in my throat is going to split wide open.

Be safe and get boosted.

 

…Here are some things I like for the weekend: 

 

“It’s important that people know I’m so much more than the bad things that have happened to me.” Nightbirde

  

“Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable.” Mary Oliver

 

“Every day will be okay if you find some moments to laugh.” Shay Weintraub

 

“I need a smart car full of valium.” Mike Stobe

 

“Let me live, love, and say it well in good sentences.” Sylvia Plath

 

“The world turns, just try to stop it.” Donna Vitucci

 

“If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet...maybe we could understand something.” Federico Fellini

 

"People often ask me what is the most effective technique for transforming their life. It is a little embarrassing that after years and years of research and experimentation, I have to say that the best answer is - just be a little kinder." Aldous Huxley

 

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." ~Michelangelo

 

“Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart...live in the question.” Rainer Maria Rilke

 

“Have no fear of perfection. You’ll never reach it.” Salvador Dali

 

“You never know what fountain you might be drinking from.” David O’Connor

 

“I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teaching my blood whispers to me.” Hermann Hesse

 

“Somewhere we know that without silence words lose their meaning, that without listening speaking no longer heals, that without distance closeness cannot cure.” Henry J. M. Nouwen

2 comments:

  1. Yo! Doods-withe-loods!!
    Lissen unto moi, aussi:

    we ALL will be judged when we perish
    on how our actions effected others -
    standing before Jesus ain't2pleasing
    if youse gotta stench from the world.
    And doesnt matter if you're atheist:
    I'm a NDEr as millions of others.
    Follow us Upstairs, bubba:

    Wanna VitSee again??
    -sez the carnival barker.
    ☆ AbstractVocabulary.blogspot.com ☆
    God blessa youse
    (skuze d'New Joisey aXent).
    Dominus Vobiscum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoulda said 'WE gotta lotta stench'.
    I'm absolutely no better than you.
    Juss wanna make that poifectly elucidate (American slang for 'clear').
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete